Ingredients (serves 4)
2 cups plain flour
1 ½ cups dashi or water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
450g cabbage coarsely chopped
1 spring onion chopped
1 fresh range egg
60ml oil or sesame oil
5 rashers of bacon (optional)
Garnish (check out your local Japanese Food Store for some of these):
Okonomiyaki sauce / katsu sauce / HP Sauce (…yes really!)
Spring Onion finely chopped
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and dashi/water together and set aside.
- Chop the cabbage and spring onion finely and add to batter mix.
- Add egg and mix the ingredients together. Take care not to overmix.
- Heat up a frying pan with a little oil. Pour okonomiyaki mixture into a round pancake shape in the centre of the pan. Let it brown a little, then add bacon on top (optional).
- Once the underside of the pancake is brown in colour flip over to finish cooking. Press down on pancake with a spatula to make it an even thickness.
- When both sides of the okonomiyaki are golden brown, flip on to a plate and cut into slices like a pizza.
- Smother with lashings of okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise, sprinkle with bonito flakes, aonori seaweed, spring onion and chopped beni shoga.
Why not mix it up with your own toppings? Snap us your creations on social media at @yosushi #ThisIsTokyo